Noa and I are relatively new to the blogging game, so we are happy to learn that, for us newbies, there is the Liebster Blog Award, which we were so kindly nominated for by Joni of Motherhood and Muffin Tops. We hope you’ll check out her blog on the “in-between period of motherhood.” Her blog is chock full of grace, wit and reflection, and a seriously refreshing amount of gratitude that makes the prospect of our children growing older seem not so scary. Thank you Joni!
The Liebster Blog Award is kind of like getting a trophy just for participating, but we’re practically millenials, so we’ll take it! Plus, it’s a hard world out there for a new blogger on the block, so we love the idea of passing some of the blogger love around. In exchange for receiving the award, we have to answer a list of questions from Joni and then list 11 random facts about ourselves – which is perfect because Noa and I really do love talking about ourselves. Wait, doesn’t everybody?
So here goes nothing…
Why did you start blogging?
True story. Noa and I have been best friends since we first met in the second grade, at which time we began working on our magnum opus, “Gummy Shoes.” Don’t bother looking for it, it’s written in pencil in a spiral bound notebook somewhere in a box in Noa’s storage unit. The plot line is thin, and the characters are a bit one-dimensional, but otherwise it’s a great read. So yeah, basically, Noa and I love to write, we love to collaborate, and we love to think of creative and funny ways to talk about ourselves. Blogging was a natural progression.
Are you an early bird or a night owl?
If you’ve read our blog, you know we are both night owls with no choice but to rise begrudgingly early with our little chicks.
What is your guilty pleasure?
The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. We are mothers, wives, professionals, advanced-degree holders, start-up entrepreneurs, bloggers, authors of “Gummy Shoes,” but damn, we love us some Bachelor. Yes, we will accept this rose (or Liebster Blog Award).
What is your all-time favorite TV show?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose AND Tim Riggins? Friday Night Lights is the best TV show ever! Though I am totally high-brow, so I do love Mad Men. If you ask Noa, she may say that Dawson’s Creek is her close second.
Name three things on your bucket list.
1. Publish a book of original writing (“Gummy Shoes” excluded).
2. Take an RV tour of the US National Parks, but like a really fancy, tricked-out, rock-star RV.
3. World domination.
What is your favorite way to relax?
As mothers of children 3 and under, sleeping in on occasion is absolute relaxation heaven. But using the bathroom uninterrupted is a close second.
Do you collect anything?
Blog followers! Seriously come read our blogs! Follow us! Comment! They’re hilarious!
What is your favorite blog post and why?
My favorite blog post of Noa’s is her Mommy Cliques Are The Worst. Noa and I are like the old married couple of friends, and finding new friends (new MOM friends) is the worst. Coincidentally, Noa’s favorite post of mine is on Making Mom Friends or How to Be a Cool Mom Magnet. We are the yin to each other’s yang.
Do you enjoy appetizers or dessert more?
Appetizers. And lots of them. Seriously, Noa will order every appetizer on a menu, and my favorite part of any wedding is cocktail hour, primarily for the passed hors d’oeuvres (but ok, also for the cocktails).
What is your favorite season?
I am pretty sure Noa would say summer – it’s her birthday and she loves the beach. I would say winter. I love to ski and cozy up by a fire.
Eleven random facts about ourselves…..
1. Noa and I have been friends for almost thirty years, we were the maids of honor at each other’s weddings, and despite living 3,000 miles apart, we probably speak to each other more than our own husbands everyday (thanks WhatsApp!).
2. Noa and I hated each other when we first met because we were fighting to be best friends with a girl in our second grade class. We’re not sure how we ended up with each other as a result, but we think it worked out pretty well.
3. Noa and I were filmed for an Animal Planet show after a kitten we adopted fell out of our fourth story New York City apartment twelve years ago. That kitten still lives with me.
4. Noa loves handbags. Seriously, she absolutely loves them.
5. I love college football, and specifically Notre Dame college football.
6. Noa and I both hate cilantro. HATE IT. With a passion. Seriously, it tastes like dish soap, people.
7. Noa is deathly afraid of air travel and avoids it as much as she can. I travel (mostly by plane) as often as I can.
8. Noa and I grew up in a town outside of New York City, and we used to throw high school parties in cow fields. This was something that astonished my college friends in the Midwest and Noa’s college friends in Manhattan all the same.
9. In elementary school, Noa and I went through a rough patch that included me prank calling her house, and her ordering 20 pizzas to mine.
10. We miss prank calls. Seriously, those were the days!
11. After playing way too many jokes on each other, Noa and I adopted a system whereby we cannot lie to each other to this day. If I tell her something and she says “Flowerbush,” I can only respond, “Flowerbush” if I am telling the truth. (If I don’t say it back, she knows that I am lie-telling.) If I was not telling the truth and dared respond, I suspect the Flowerbush gods would strike me down dead on the spot, but I’ve never been brave enough to test out this theory. And yes, I realize this is probably too confusing to follow, so don’t even bother!
Our Nominee is…. My Creative Days
We nominate Lindsay of My Creative Days because, unlike us, she has the energy to engage in DIY projects and creative kid activities. Being the lazy parents that we are, we could definitely use a good dose of Lindsay! In a nutshell, Lindsay makes those pins on Pinterest that we “like” but never actually create – so check out her site and get crafty.
1) Link back to the blog that nominated you.
2) Post 11 random facts about yourselves and answer the questions listed in my post.
3) Nominate up to 11 blogs, link your nominees to your post, and let them know.
Thanks again, Joni!